Cannibalizing the Conductor
Cannibalizing the Conductor is a hybrid film that combines dance with narrative and documentary filmmaking techniques to encourage deep observation of trance. Upheld for an extended duration, a group of performers improvise in various lucid states that are altered by imaginative, movement and vocal-based tasks. Each performer moves and is moved by the camera. Interacting with each other and the camera itself, they engage with the filmic gaze to celebrate their own agency, while disrupting the monocular focus of the camera lens. They get out of their own way to channel newly uncovered knowledge through the forms of music, dance, sound, and ultimately the eye of the camera.
- Concept & Realization: Emma Waltraud Howes, Justin F. Kennedy
- Camera and Edit: Derek Howard
- Camera Assistance: Dino Rekanovic
- Additional Cinematography: Bíborka Béres, Vladimir Gurewich, Ogemdi Ude
- Music: Anand Wilder
- Makeup and Prosthetics: Caterina Veronesi
- Costumes: Marta Martino
- Performers: Onur Agbaba, Viktoria Bayer, Bíborka Béres, Gabriel Christian (DeLeon), Emma W. Howes, Masoumeh Jalalieh, Justin F. Kennedy, Alireza Keymanesh, Julek Kreutzer, Janne Kummer, Dorota Michalak, Nural Moser, Martha Pasakopoulou, Rafał Pierzyński, Caspar Rode, Julia Rubies, Theresa Scheinecker, Valentino Skarwan, Ogemdi Ude, Xenia Vlachou-Koghilaki, Christa Wall
- Performance Research: Fernando Cabral, Anna Dunlop, Deva Schubert, Tyra Wigg
- ImPulsTanz : Marina (Fio) Losin, Rio Rutzinger
Cannibalizing the Conductor2022Moviemento
CAMming: Collective Auto-Mythologizing for the Camera2021ImPulsTanz
Produced in the frame of CAMming the CAM: Auto-Mythologizing for the CAMera, ImpulsTanz, Vienna (2021)
Post-production is supported by the NATIONAL PERFORMANCE NETWORK – STEPPING OUT, funded by the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and Media within the framework of the initiative NEUSTART KULTUR. Assistance Program for Dance.